Hi Guys! This is one of my favorite weekday meals for when I want real food but I am also feeling lazy. All of the ingredients are easy to find and usually pretty affordable making this meal a no brainer weekday fix. I love how simplifying the prep with canned tomato and prewashed baby spinach saves me time meaning I can eat faster. Nothing is worse than being really hungry and having to spend a ton of time cooking. This meal is fast and easy to make plus it tastes great.
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 can of petite diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup penne pasta
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1/4 frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add one teaspoon of olive oil to a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and stir. Stir frequently until the onions begin to turn a golden brown color (if the onions start to stick to the bottom of the pan, add a splash of water and give it a stir).
- When the onions have reached a nice golden color add the garlic and bell pepper. Stir and heat until the pepper has begun to soften. Once the bell pepper has started to soften, add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook on low for about five minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, add 2/3 of a cup of dry penne pasta to a large microwave safe pot. Cover with roughly 1 1/2 cups of water and place in the microwave. Microwave for 3-4 minutes longer than the time on the box. Once the time is up, check the doneness by sampling a piece or two and then strain the excess water in the sink.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add your handful of baby spinach and the frozen corn and stir to combine. Cook until the spinach is wilted and then turn off the heat.
- Plate and enjoy!
*This is a basic recipe that lends itself well to experimentation. Add some ground beef or pork to the onions when sauteing for extra protein or experiment with different spices to find your favorite take.